All of us have those mornings when we just don’t seem to have enough time to sit down to breakfast, but we definitely want to start the morning with something in our tummies. I personally cannot skip breakfast, but find that when school is about to start or we are heading out on a road trip, a quick grab-and-go bite is just what I want.
These Sunrise Morning Cookies are exactly what you need for those mornings (and they make the perfect snack throughout the day). They are lightly sweetened and are packed with healthy ingredients like pistachios, apricots, oats and flax seeds. I also added hemp seeds for some added protein, but if you don’t have any or can’t find them, you can skip them and still have delicious cookies.
Sunrise Morning Cookies
3 Tablespoons ground flax seed mixed into 9 Tablespoons room-temperature water
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar (or golden brown sugar)
3/4 cup cane sugar
3/4 cup finely diced dried apricots
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 Tablespoon raw hemp seeds (optional)
1/2 cup shelled roasted pistachio nuts
1. Preheat you oven to 375 degrees.
2. Make your flax seeds and water. Set aside.
3. Mix all dry ingredients (from flour to oats). Set aside.
4. In a large stand mixer, blend vegan butter, coconut oil, and sugars on medium until mixture is lightly whipped and golden. With mixer running on low, add 1 cup of the dry ingredients at a time until all are incorporated. Add in the dried fruits, hemp seeds and pistachio nuts just until incorporated.
5. Using two large spoons, scoop up about 2 – 3 Tablespoons of dough and form into a ball. Flatten out slightly and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spacing cookies about 2 inches apart. Repeat the process using all of the dough.
6. Bake 17 minutes, or until the cookies are golden on top. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the cooking from the baking sheet.